Summer Position Available – Sir James Dunn Law Library
Full-Time Summer Information Desk Student – May 2016-August 2016
This competition is open to entering 2nd and 3rd year law students at Schulich School of Law. Ideally the candidate also will be willing to work part-time during the 2016-2017 academic year.
Work Hours: 30 hours per week Monday through Friday (daytime hours only). Approximately 19 weeks.
Duties: Staffing the Information Desk under the supervision of the Circulation Supervisor.
- Circulating library materials using the library’s circulation system, according to established practices.
- While seated at the Information Desk, provide basic directional information to library users about the organization of the library, location of materials, use of the library catalogue, and online resources.
- Keeping accurate statistics for items circulated manually and questions answered.
- Referring reference questions to librarians.
- Accepting payment for library fees and printing/copying.
- Emptying the main floor book return and processing returned materials promptly.
- Assisting library staff with opening and closing the library.
- Completing a variety of other assignments including but not limited to shifting and/or shelving library materials, shelf reading, preparing materials for discard, filing of looseleaf services, photocopying, word processing, and other special projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Library experience preferred but willingness to learn essential. Familiarity with the policies of the Sir James Dunn Law Library is required as is a familiarity with the Law Library organization. Cash register, reception desk, service counter, or public service experience is highly desirable. Although this is a scents free environment, the work environment in the library contains dust and book mould that will trigger allergies to such substances.
Training: Will be provided.
Start Date: May 2, 2016 (or as negotiated.)
Rate of Pay: $13.00/hour
Deadline for Applications: Please submit your application and resume attention Anne-Marie White at the circulation desk or by email (email@example.com) by 4:00pm, March 14, 2016.