by Geoff Brown,
Digital Scholarship Librarian
DalSpace is a digital library curated by the Dalhousie Libraries. We are committed to freely and openly distributing and preserving the scholarly record. Other online document repositories (e.g. Academia.edu, ResearchGate and SSRN) are owned by commercial interests and operate as scholarly social networking sites. These are excellent online spaces to communicate with your peers; however, they are not acceptable open access repositories. These sites often appear free but their purpose is to make money. They cannot be relied upon for long-term access to scholarship.
In general, open access repositories such as DalSpace have the following attributes:
- Free to post and download
- No registration required to view or download
- Not owned by commercial enterprises
- Primary purpose is to preserve and provide access
- Created by academic institutions, scholarly societies, government agencies and related organizations
To get started with DalSpace:
Enter your email address, and click the “register” button. This will establish your DalSpace username and password.
- After registering, you initiate the deposit process by sending an email message to email@example.com with your name, DalSpace username, department/unit, and a description of the type of deposit that you or your department would like to make to DalSpace. After this initial contact, you submit content directly into the system.
Go to Posting to DalSpace for more guidelines.
- Dalhousie faculty members or research staff
- Graduate students deposit their completed, accepted thesis into the DalSpace Faculty of Graduate Studies Online Thesis Collection.
- Students may deposit material into specific collections authorized by Dalhousie faculty members. Works must be vetted prior to deposit to ensure quotes from published sources are cited and permission obtained to reproduce images.