In conjunction with the 200th anniversary of Dalhousie, the Medjuck family is proudly commemorating 100 years and four generations of association with Dalhousie University.
This association began in September of 1918 when Abraham Medjuck of Glace Bay entered Dal Medical School at the age of 18. Remarkably, this was only ten years after he immigrated to Canada at the age of eight without knowing any English, which was an outstanding academic achievement. Following graduation, Dr. Medjuck moved to New York City where he became a pioneer in Industrial Medicine. His choice of medical practice was in response to the growing medical needs stemming from the large numbers of factories in New York’s Lower Eastside. He remained in this practice for fifty years.
In time, Dr. Medjuck would be followed at Dalhousie by his brothers, nephews, grandnephew, niece, grandniece, and great-grandniece. Ralph, Harold, and the late Frank Medjuck are his nephews. The Medjuck brothers spent much of their childhood on the playing fields of Dalhousie as their home at 293 South Street was a very short distance from Studley Campus. Seventy years later, Harold Medjuck can still visualize the large acorn and chestnut trees, dirt roads, streams, large fields, pond, and the Murray Studley horse barn that once stood on Studley Campus. During their respective years at Dalhousie, each of the three Medjuck brothers became Chancellor of Tau Epsilon Phi Fraternity (TEP) one of the fraternities affiliated with the University. This was a unique achievement in the history of both Canadian and American college fraternities.
After their father Irving Medjuck passed away in 1985, the Medjuck brothers chose to sell their family home of 50 years to Dalhousie. With the sale proceeds, the Medjuck brothers established the Medjuck Judaica Collection at the Killam Library in memory of their parents, Irving and Blanche (Pascal) Medjuck. In addition, Ralph Medjuck, the eldest Medjuck brother, has been a generous donor to Dalhousie for several decades. In recognition of his support for Dalhousie and his noteworthy accomplishments in the business community, Dalhousie awarded him an Honorary Doctor of Laws.
Several of Ralph Medjuck’s children have also graduated from Dalhousie and two of his grandchildren are currently attending. This culminates four generations of Medjuck Dalhousians, beginning with Abraham Medjuck in 1918.
In memory, honor, and appreciation of the Medjuck family’s time and place in Dalhousie history, Harold Medjuck has established the Medjuck Centenary Collection at the Dalhousie Killam Memorial Library.
Les Oliver says
Nova Scotia is blessed to have such fine universities that have served generations of our citizens. The Medjuck family set a fine example by recognizing the role that universities play in ensuring a productive, informed society. The archival special Medjuck Centenary Collection will surely serve many more generations of Dalhousie associates.
Marlene Brown says
This is a very beautiful article Harold.How very proud you must be to publish your family’s historical connection to Dalhousie.
The Medjuck Centenary Collection will be a wonderful addition to the Dalhousie Killam Memorial Library.
Mazel tov. Well done