What is a Lunchless Learn? It’s a hands-on tutorial, held around lunchtime, open to all on campus – without the food!
A GIS, or Geographic Information System, is a computer system for capturing, storing, checking, integrating, manipulating, analyzing and displaying data relating to positions on earth’s surface. In other words, it’s an easy and fun way to look at the world differently.
This series will give you a taste of what GIS is and how it can be used. These sessions are meant to be self-contained. After the intro session, take only the topics that are important or of interest to you.
This year, the Lunchless Learns are being taught using two different software packages – ArcGIS Pro and QGIS. ArcGIS Pro is currently the leading commercial GIS Software that is available only using the Windows platform. QGIS is an open-source software that is available across many platforms (the demo is shown on a Windows platform). The content of both sessions is the same, only the software is different.
In order to run the ArcGIS Pro sessions, you will need to use either a Dalhousie Windows machine (in the library or lab), have the software downloaded on your own machine, or run it on VLab (ArcGIS). If you are not familiar with VLab, please read about it prior to the start of the session.
To run the sessions in QGIS, you must have QGIS loaded on the machine you’ll be working on – download the QGIS software.
Please register for each session you are interested in. In advance of the session, you will receive an email containing data that you will need to use during the session.
- QGIS – Intro: First Encounters of the GIS Kind: Tuesday, September 26, 1:00–2:30 p.m.
- ArcGIS Pro Intro: First Encounters of the GIS Kind: Wednesday, September 27, 1:00–2:30 p.m.
- QGIS Data: So You Want to Make a Map – Where and How to find data: Tuesday, October 3, 1:00–2:30 p.m.
- ArcGIS Pro Data: So You Want to Make a Map – Where and How to Find Data: Wednesday, October 4, 1:00–2:30 p.m.
- QGIS Raster: How to Become a Raster Master: Tuesday, October 10, 1:00–2:30 p.m.
- ArcGIS Pro Raster: How to Become a Raster Master: Wednesday, October 11, 1:00–2:30 p.m.
- QGIS Cartography: Maps – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Tuesday, October 17, 1:00–2:30 p.m.
- ArcGIS Pro Cartography: Maps – the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Wednesday, October 18, 1:00–2:30 p.m.