Sacred Heart School of Halifax is a member of the international Network of Sacred Heart Schools and one of Canada’s top Catholic and independent schools (JP to Grade 6 coed, Grades 7-12 single-sex). SHSH invites applications for the following position for the 2015-2016 Academic Year:
LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SERVICES MANAGER
Reporting directly to our Principals, we are seeking a dynamic, forward thinking professional trained in library and information services who loves working with children and young adults, encouraging students to be independent, lifelong learners and producers of ideas and information. The school library serves the whole school, promoting reading and research as foundational skills for learning, personal growth, social awareness, inspiration and enjoyment. At Sacred Heart School of Halifax, library and information services are best supported by a proactive librarian/manager who has a deep respect for intellectual development and creates an atmosphere of wise freedom. All members of the Sacred Heart school community understand that the five Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart education are our guide. The Library will be a unifying place on the campus where the Library and Information Services Manager fosters collaboration among members of the community.
- Development and maintenance of the collection (including electronic resources) based on the interests and needs of the students, faculty and community;
- Maintain the Library database;
- Develop and communicate age-appropriate online resources;
- Collaboration with faculty on curriculum development: o Offer faculty suggestions for interdisciplinary curriculum connections; o Support classroom teachers with exciting projects and presentations;
- Teaching students how to use the Library, and research skills, i.e., development of information literacy skills; Promotion and coordination of library services and special events.
- Professional Librarian with a Degree in Library and Information Services, or equivalent;
- Experience in a school setting is desirable;
- Familiarity with appropriate technologies;
- Facility with French as well as English is desirable;
- Experience with 21st century learning and teaching, i.e.: o Instruction that addresses multiple literacies, including information and media literacy; o Modeling an inquiry-based approach to learning and the information search process; A desire for ongoing professional development in school library services.
A letter of application should be submitted with the resume and references by
May 4, 2015 to Emily Cainen at
Sacred Heart School of Halifax, 5820 Spring Garden Road, Halifax, NS B3H 1X8, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants, and regret that only those short-listed will be contacted.
Fax: (902) 423-7691 Phone: (902) 422-4459
Visit us on the web at www.shsh.ca
A Catholic independent school welcoming families of diverse religious traditions,
Sacred Heart School of Halifax stimulates young minds and fosters a lifelong love of learning.