DESCRIPTION: We are looking to hire an Equity Officer to ensure all Dalhousie Arts and Social Sciences Society (DASSS) activities in the 2018-2019 school year are accessible, equitable, and representative of the perspectives of marginalized students. All applicants must be members of any marginalized group and in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at Dalhousie University. Responsibilities of this position will commence upon hiring of the successful candidate, which will occur no later than June 7th. Activity over the summer will primarily consist of communication with the Chair and Executive regarding meetings and events. RENUMERATION: $600 Honorarium
EXPECTED HOURS PER WEEK: The Equity Officer attends about twelve (12) bi-weekly meetings that are booked for three (3) hours maximum, two (2) General Meetings that run approximately three (3) hours long, holds one (1) office hour per week, and chairs the Equity committee, which meets at the Equity Officers discretion, at least once per semester. In total, this adds up to an average of approximately 2 hours a week.
DUTIES OF THE EQUITY OFFICER: Start Date: May, 2018 End Date: May, 2019
● Attend all DASSS council meetings throughout the 2018-2019 year and act as a voting member on all decisions brought to council. ● Chair at least one (1) Equity committee meeting per semester.
● Work within DASSS to create programming and facilitate advocacy for marginalized FASSS students through an anti-oppressive framework.
● Collaborate with the Chair in conflict resolution on issues relating to equity and accessibility.
● Advocate, alongside the Vice President Academic, for diverse and representative curricula.
● Hold one (1) office hour per week in the DASSS office (Room TBA, 3rd Floor SUB) for student drop-ins and appointments.
● Collects feedback from marginalized FASSS members and brings their recommendations to council.
● If a seat is available, the successful candidate will sit on the FASSS Faculty Council to advocate for student interests.
● Submits a final report at the last council meeting of the year, outlining the work they completed during their term.
● Creates a transition package to prepare the incoming 2019-2020 Equity Officer to fulfill their responsibilities.
● Sit on the hiring committee for the 2019-2020 Equity Officer.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com