Type: part-time, 3-month term
Organization: Nova Scotia Environmental Network www.nsen.ca
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
About the Nova Scotia Environmental Network:
The Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN) was founded in 1991 and is a registered non-profit organization under the Society Act of Nova Scotia. The network is comprised of non-governmental environmental and health organizations whose common purpose is the conservation and enhancement of the natural environment and the pursuit of a sustainable future for Nova Scotia. NSEN helps to coordinate and support the work of its members through the establishment of caucuses and working groups, organizing events and offering capacity-building workshops. NSEN is a provincial affiliate of the Canadian Environmental Network. NSEN is governed by a Board of Directors that is comprised of representatives of our member organizations.
The Nova Scotia Environmental Network is seeking to hire a Sustainability Education Coordinator on a part-time, short-term basis from January to April. The position will be 96 hours in total (Approximately 32 hours per month for 3 months). The Coordinator will help manage the SENSE (Sustainability Education in Nova Scotia for Everyone) working group of the NSEN. Please see http://www.nsen.ca/education.php for more information on SENSE. The Coordinator will help to organize the upcoming sustainability conference, look for SENSE funding and assembly SENSE information material. The Coordinator will also help with follow up minutes, reporting, and mailings. The Coordinator must be able to work a few hours a week in the NSEN office.
- A demonstrated commitment to the environment and knowledge of sustainability
- Experience working with non-governmental organizations
- Excellent computer skills and experience with Word, Excel, and design programs
- Excellent communications skills
- Experience with organizing events
- Experience with event promotion
Candidates must have excellent event planning, computing and communication skills. Applicants must be familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, design programs, and Gmail. We are looking for someone who is reliable, very well organized and efficient. The Coordinator must be able to multi-task easily and take initiative. Demonstrated experience organizing events/meetings is required.
- Updating and maintaining the SENSE e-mail listserv
- Working with SENSE members and government reps to organizing an upcoming sustainability conference
- Setting up teleconferences
- Attending working group meetings and teleconferences
- Corresponding with NGOs and the public (by phone, in-person meetings, e-mail and mail)
- Preparing meeting minutes and reports
- Compiling information and designing a brochure about SENSE work
- Communicating with government departments and the media
Interviews will take place the week of January 24th in Halifax.
NSEN is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Start date: ASAP, Negotiable
$16 hour at approximately 8 hours a week for 3 months (96 hours total)
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume including contact information for 3 references to the attention of Janelle Frail e-mail: nsen(at)cen-rce.org
For more information, please contact:
Nova Scotia Environmental Network
3115 Veith St.
Halifax, NS B3K 3G9