Information taken from: https://themostefficient.com/50-ways-to-take-a-break-infographic-brain-breaks-for-adults/
This fantastic “50 Ways to Take a Break” infographic gives some quick ideas for when we need a work break.
There are a few reasons that people are reluctant to take work breaks.
- Some uninformed employers frown on employees taking breaks at work (except those breaks that are required by law)
- People are competitive and want to be the employee that shines, not the employee who takes breaks
- We’re just too dang busy and every minute counts
Although it’s challenging to find time for work breaks, you still need them.
Why Work Breaks Are Essential
We’re not talking about long breaks like lunch breaks. Everyone knows you need those. At least I hope you’re not eating at your desk (unless you’re reading something you want to read while you eat).
Here’s what short brain breaks can do for you.
- You’ll concentrate better when you get back to your task
- Short work breaks fight cognitive boredom
- You’re more productive when you return to intensely focused work
- Work-break patterns are motivating
- You avoid brain drain and mental fatigue
- Physical ailments are reduced when you get up and move around frequently