The following was written over a decade ago. Have we not learned anything?
Beliefs that Oppose Balance and Leisure
The Hidden Rules That Run Your Life
- You have to meet other people’s needs before you meet your own.
- If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.
- You have to finish everything every day.
- You should always be busy.
- Leisure is a luxury.
- You have to be all things to all people.
- Sleep is for wimps.
- A woman’s work is never done.
- If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right.
- If you don’t work hard and work long hours, you won’t get ahead.
- Hard work = money = success.
- Being seen = commitment.
- I don’t need breaks.
- Saying No is not acceptable and, therefore, not an option.
- To ask for help is a weakness.
- If your boss is there, you should be there.
- I need to be available 24/7.
- Being a “work martyr” is a badge of honor.
Adapted from: Posen, D. (2003). The little book of stress relief. Toronto: Key Porter Books.